Sunday, January 25, 2009

Minipops Flashbacks & Kiddie Wackiness

We ended up listening to my friend Ajax's Minipops record the other day. This 80's record is the brainchild of some British folks, who decided that some little kids should sing the hits of the day. As you can see, some overzealous adults slapped an insane amount of make-up on them to make them video star ready. Just look at these poor kids! They are so cute and sad all in one. I usually love it when kids sing rock and pop songs of yesterday, so this was no exception. I'd never heard of them before this past weekend, so it was definitely a treat. I was thoroughly entertained by their little voices belting out the jams, creepy as it kind of is. I have no idea why I didn't notice them back in the day. When I got home I was happy to see a good handful of youtubes posted of them in all their glory. The magical weirdness can be re-lived from the 80's. Watch their version of Video Killed the Radio Star.

If you are like me and somehow missed the original Minipops, check out this short background video.

Then the next thing I knew was that I had gotten sucked into the youtube abyss. I promptly found a couple of other fun kiddie 70's flashback gems, like this Sesame Street classic, Fat Cat Sat Hat. Oh, that nutty red-haired screamer singer puppet!


After that I stumbled on this adorable foreign language retro cartoon nugget. Can I get German translation of this 1974 French cartoon, Barbapapa, pretty please? But don't let the foreign language stop you from watching the video, the visuals will show you the way! The Barbas are the most flexible babysitters EVER.

Between the Minipops and Barbapapa, it makes me wonder why couldn't I have grown up in Europe in the 70's and 80's? I would of been a lot more hip.

If I want to get more of my Barbapapa fix, I noticed you can buy the books at this San Francisco store, Karikter. They say they sell "European Color Style Humor", which sounds good to me! I like this cover and the Barbamama's scarf.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 1:22 PM, Blogger Bubeau said...

Minipops was purchased at "Down at Lulu's" on Telegraph which has many fine records.

 
At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Jamal said...

LOL, I forgot about Fat Cat Sat Hat. Pretty good, though I think Mana Mana may still be my favorite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTXyXuqfBLA

 
At 2:42 AM, Anonymous chicago fitness said...

Good to know that about Minipops Flashbacks & Kiddie Wackiness, I bookmark you blog.. its good one..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home