Monday, January 12, 2009

LA, CA

Last week we headed to the City of Angels for our annual January record shopping & museum appreciation trip, mixed with a teeny bit of business for R. This time we brought the portable record player to achieve instant listening gratification.We served some time in the LA traffic.We stayed downtown in Little Tokyo. Here's the view from our room. We were surrounded by a lot of this. I didn't mind at all.I went back to the Getty, since R had never been.The buildings and landscape are still amazing.There are vague fall/winter colors even in LA.I don't think I remember this area from my previous visit.
These were huge, bubbly and green.Record buying was definitely achieved. I'm estimating that there are about 40 new records in the house, but I am trying not to think about that part.We also went to the Hammer again.I enjoyed Shirana Shahbazi's pieces in their lobby.Of course I liked this one. It might look orange but the background was bubblegum pink.I am always happy when I get to go this great bookstore called Family.R had a gig to play at the Echo on Friday night with Bart Davenport. I'm sorry to say that none of my photos of their set worked out. They all look blurred and unfocused like the one below.
[Note to self, there's no point to my taking indoor night time photos sans flash.]The band played a funny britpop night that was generally good, retro-style, nostalgic fun. The big drawback moment was when there was a painful, swaying to Oasis, sing a-long, double circle at the end of the night. I really can't sway or sing-along to Oasis. Witness these kids.Coincidentally, another bay area crew was throwing a party at the spot downstairs (and oddly, around the corner) from the britpop club that night. After R was done playing drums and doing a lot of walking to "get downstairs" we went to go check out Los Rakas, from Oakland and meet up with the sweetest KALX alumni that I know. The downstairs space was huge. Here's another blurry night time shot.In other LA observations, there are a lot of signs to look at.Hot Hot Hair!This sign was right across the street from HHH. Nicely topping things off, there was a pretty full moon on the ride home.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 4:50 PM, Blogger ruzxs said...

we also went to the jurassic museum of technology. i had to shield M from the mice sandwich exhibit.

 
At 12:44 PM, Anonymous molly said...

mice on toast! it helps cure bed-wetting and general incontinence.

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Bubeau said...

That Getty place looks cool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home