Sunday, April 13, 2008

Top 10 fresh east bay brunches

Happy Sunday! I just finished eating some homemade brunch with Yuri and crew. It was good. Have I told you how much I love brunch? If not, I am going to tell you how much I dig it. It's a great later-in-the-morning, 2-in-one meal. Fresh Fruit souffles like the one below from Bette's OceanView Diner on 4th street are a great example of how good brunch can be. Just be prepared to wait for those flavors to enter your mouth. There's always a wait for a souffle at Bette's.I especially love going out to eat brunch around the bay area. Since I find it most enjoyable when it's casual, most of my brunch munching happens in the east bay. Over the 11 years that I have lived in the EB, I think I have come up with a top ten (in no particular order). They are 900 Grayson, T Rex, Jimmy Bean's , Bette's View Diner, Homemade Cafe, Rick and Ann's, Mama's, Saul's, Luka's and La Note (see their creme fraiche pancakes below). I've also tried these eb brunch spots; Fat Lady, Full House Cafe, B, Cockadoodle Cafe, Lynn and Lu’s, Rockridge Cafe, Somerset, Rudy’s Can’t Fail, Lois the Pie Queen, Thai Temple (pictured below) Scharfenberger, Sam's Log Cabin, Bacheeso’s (worst name ever), Sea Salt, Fellini, Café Venus, Liaison’s, Café Fanny, Sunnyside Cafe, Spenger's, Hidden Café, Meal Ticket, Tomate Cafe, Cafe 817, Fat Apples, Royal Cafe (their brunch fare below) and few more, who's names I am blanking out on or am purposely forgetting. As for eating brunch in SF, I usually don't make it over there in time for brunch. It usually only coincides with weekend record shopping. In those rare cases, I have enjoyed going to Magnolia in the upper Haight and Kate's Kitchen in the lower Haight. When I lived in the Mission and wanted authentic Mexican breakfast, I really dug going here or here.Here's my list of eb places I still want to try- Flora, Citron, Blackberry Bistro, Ole's Waffle Shop, La Bateau Ivre, Guerilla Cafe, and the eggs (pictured underneath) at Eccolo look good! I would also like to try some Chinese breakfast in downtown Oakland. Does anyone else have any other faves, lists or suggestions? I should probably move an extended brunch review list over to Yelp at some point. I have been around the brunch block a few times and have got more things to say on the matter. All the photos are compliments of Yelpers, btw.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 4:43 PM, Blogger Gardagami said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger jennwhisper said...

I concur that brunch is the best meal of the day.
Chinese breakfast if you don't mean dimsum: Shandong Restaurant on 10th(?) is the bomb. There is another place... Shanghai(?) restaurant that I've been to once on Webster than has alot of variety. If you want some jook (rice porridge) my friend just turned me on to Gum Kuo which is aesthetically unpleasing but pretty comfort-foody in the Webster shopping center in Chinatown. I am also eager to try different dim sum places in Chinatown. If you wanna check one of these out on a Sunday I am available as your brunch buddy.

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger freshpinkstyle said...

Yes, dimsum is what I was meaning. I'm also free this Sunday in the brunch zone. Let's go!

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Elka and Peter said...

I also want to try that Brown Sugar place on Mandela. Armstead and Phyllis have said that it's yum but spendy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home