Monday, March 03, 2008

Hello Again!


Since March has arrived (and I managed to survive the month of February), I thought it would be nice to stop in for a quick hello. I want to give a shout out to Yuri for so awesomely guest blogging and holding it down freshpinkstyle while I was away doing non-stop schoolwork. She did a great job and I elect her to KEEP doing a great job and continue to co-host freshpinkstyle ANY TIME she has something fresh to share. She also gave this little blog such a nice facelift, very fresh, indeed.

While I've been away from freshpinkstyle, I've been crazy busy with school. I worked for the past two weeks on transforming the "lighting lab" at SFSU for my residential interior design class. We were the first group to transform the space for this semester. The assignment consists of getting into a group of five students and turning the room into a pseudo studio apartment complete with an eating area, living area, work area and sleep zone. Each group is required to create a theme for the room and the budget comes out of our own pockets. There will be six rooms shown during the semester.

Since we were the first team and we were attempting to keep the project simple, we choose the theme of minimal "lean and green" (eco design). The project ended up playing itself out like a reality television show, there was a lot of drama and stress, but in the end it worked out okay. We decided to have our design revolve stuff mostly from my house, borrowed goods from the SFSU theater props department or stuff that we could buy and return from inexpensive stores like Ikea, Target and West Elm. It was really hard to decide on a look with five conflicting tastes, but the one item that all five-group members could agree on were these Anno Unni birch tree-printed panels from Ikea. Therefore, they became the design's jumping off point and then we scored a bunch of free craigslist paint and choose a gray neutral that worked with the panels and then tried to fill in the gaps. (here are some of my group members working on the room)

The saddest part of doing hours of work and spending our own $$$ to transform the lighting lab was that it was only open to the public for 4 minutes. I presented the design to my instructor and fellow classmates and THAT WAS IT. In short, this revolves around the disorganization of the interior design dept and lack of planning on their end. We broke down the design last Thursday and Friday and today I am trying to return my regular school work. In the meantime, here are a few shots of the lighting lab. Enjoy!

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 10:30 AM, Blogger Bubeau said...

It turned out good! You should be proud.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger jennwhisper said...

Congrats on all the hard work. I would TOTALLY live there.

 
At 10:54 AM, Anonymous yuri said...

welcome back pinkers.

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger ruzxs said...

looks great! where do the records go?

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Elka said...

what a great job! congrats. i like the clustered bubble lamps; is that an Amenity bedspread? I can hardly wait to work with you Saturday at the Leslie and the Lyes show!!

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger freshpinkstyle said...

Thanks for the nice comments! The bedspread is West Elm. It is pretty, but just about to get returned.

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Jamal said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Jamal said...

Oops, user error on the last comment. :-)

Looks really cool, fp -- I wish I could have checked it out in person...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home